Designing of a casing for an electronic device
The client requested for the design of a case for an electronic device. The device included 3 electronic PCBs that were supposed to be installed on a din rail box. The client requested that the whole case is assembled together inside the box without any extra opening on the box. The other requirement was that the batteries had to be positioned inside the box. Finally, the case had to be 3D printable.
The above requirements set by the client had the following challenges:
- The client’s initial plan and idea was not clear and it had to be worked out in a way that fulfilled his ideas. This was the most challenging part. Since the designing of electronic boards was not fully completed, the design had to be flexible in a way to be capable of fulfilling any requested revisions.
- Each board had some electronic components including a CPU that was installed on the rim of the board and so the problem of assembling all three boards inside the case without any threat of short circuiting or interconnection was a challenging case. Besides the boards had to be installed in a way that their disassembling could be an easy task.
- Despite its unstandardized shape, the case was supposed to be user-friendly.
- The case was split and made in three parts so that it could be disassembled and reassembled quickly, and also the battery could be replaced.
- Since the boards were requested to have proper locking inside the case, while being capable of quick disassembly, instead of using the standard locking system for fixing of the boards inside the case, a friction based slider din rail was used. This needed careful considerations and calculations regarding the coefficient of friction between the case and the board to fulfill the above requirement.
- The design was made quite flexible in a way that even some major changes in the initial plan by the client could be incorporated into the design. This option was one of the tasks that took most of the time of design engineers to fulfill clients’ demands.
- Since the design was to be printed by 3D printers, special care had to be taken into account.
Results and Impacts:
- The work took several weeks and the final output was quite satisfying for the client
- The work complied with the client’s requirements.
- The problem of stability of the PCB boards inside the case was resolved.
- Despite its difficult design including two vertical and one horizontal electronic board, the case was satisfactorily prepared for 3D printing and delivered to the client.
Designing of a casing for an electronic device Case: The client requested for the design of a case for an electronic device. The device included 3 electronic PCBs that were supposed to be installed on a din rail box. The client requested that the whole case is assembled together inside the box without any extra […]