1) Introduction to First Aid Emergency kit
1.1) Importance of First Aid
First aid is the immediate help that victims of accidents receive before professional medical workers arrive. Its goal is to stop and even reverse the harm if possible. Here is the importance of First aid:
- In case someone ingests hazardous substances or suffers health-related issues like a seizure or a cardiac attack, or even if a natural disaster occurs, any knowledgeable person in first aid becomes an invaluable support not only to victims but also to professional emergency responders and medical practitioners.
- Knowing how to help a person in an emergency situation is extremely important and useful. Lack of oxygen for a human brane makes leads to its expiration in six minutes. 6 minutes is the maximum time and usually not enough time for the trained medical workers to arrive and save the victim.
- Knowledge in first aid benefits everyone, even in times where there is no emergency or a life-threatening situation.
1.2) First Aid and Emergency Kit
An emergency Kit or a first aid kit includes a number of supplies and equipment that can be used to provide medical services to victims. There are currently a wide variety of emergency kits. Their contents are arranged based on the experience and knowledge of those putting them together. The international standard governing first aid kits require them to be identified with the ISO symbol (ISO 7010). Usually, most first aid kits contain this equipment:
- Alcohol or non-alcohol antiseptic wipes
- Cotton Balls
- Cotton Swabs
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Others may include:
- Trauma shears
- Scissors (not often used)
- Tweezers, for removing splinters
- Lighter for sanitizing
- Alcohol pads for sanitizing equipment or wounds
- Irrigation syringe – with catheter tip for cleaning wounds
- Torch (also known as a flashlight)
- Instant-acting chemical cold packs
- Alcohol rub (hand sanitizer) or antiseptic hand wipes – Thermometer
2) Emergency Drones
2.1) what are emergency Drones?
What is a drone?
In a technological context, a drone is an aircraft without a pilot or a flying robot, Drones are also known as unmanned aircraft systems. The unmanned aircraft is remotely controlled by a software.
What is an emergency drone?
An emergency drone also known as Ambulance Drone is a flying robot (unmanned aircraft) that basically carries a toolbox that contains essential supplies. The goal of the emergency drone is to automatically deliver first aid kits to victims in a short period of time.
2.2) How do they work?
Producers of Emergency Drones equip them with instructions and a medical Kit that contain essential material needed for an emergency situation. An emergency drone is normally equipped with an advanced communication system that makes a doctor capable of guiding a bystander to apply first aid to a victim before the medical team arrives. In addition, such drones are also equipped with GPS tracking devices. Using such a system, an Ambulance drone would be capable of finding the location of the phone. This information could be immediately transmitted to emergency responders. On top of that, the Ambulance drone could also be equipped with an audio or video communication system so that the person who receives it could talk to a doctor for assistance.
2.3) Advantages and Pros of using Ambulance Drones:
Drones and flying robots are relatively small and fast. This gives them the ability to respond and deliver emergency equipment faster than any ground transportation. This was tested and proven by a Swedish study, the researchers conducted 18 consecutive flights with the drone, with an average flight distance of 3.2 kilometers. They compared the dispatch and travel time of the drone with the dispatch and travel time of a traditional ambulance. The researchers found that in all cases, the drone arrived more quickly than EMS with an average time difference about 16 minutes.
According to a recent study, In the European Union around 800,000 people suffer from a cardiac arrest per year, sadly only 8% survive this incident. The main reason for this high number of casualties is the relatively slow response time of emergency services which is around 10 minutes in general. Ambulance Drones dramatically increase this survival rate to at least 20% and hopefully in the near future will rise even up to 90%
Drones are significantly cheaper than ground vehicles such as trucks or cars, and this makes them more available and easier to buy and use for Hospitals and emergency facilities.
2.4) Disadvantages and cons of using Ambulance Drones:
Drones may be a new technology that is on the rise, and can be used in many ways with extreme success; however, this does not mean that they are perfect for emergency services. Even though they are faster and cheaper than traditional Ambulance vehicles, this does not make them free of cons and drawbacks such as:
- Due to the low battery durability, drones have a short flying time, and this requires them to come back to the starting point every 30 minutes.
- Being relatively low weight and having a considerable amount of electronic and mechanical components, drones cannot fly in turbulent environments such as windy or rainy weathers.
- Governments may sometimes restrict the use of drones when there is an ongoing military operation.
- Drones are not allowed and blocked from entering restricted zones such as military facilities.
Even considering all the disadvantages and drawbacks of emergency drones, they are still a technology that is full of opportunities and great potential in the future of the medical and emergency field, and that is why thousands of mechatronic engineers are investing huge amounts of time and effort into perfecting these flying robots and hopefully using them more often in hospitals and emergency/medical facilities.