We were requested by one of our clients to design and make the prototype of a mini robot who could direct the traffic in a crossway. Based on his request, a small model of the traffic robot with all the real robot’s capabilities was to be made. It was to be used to control traffic at different points through a remote human control system. The mini robot was to be used for testing and later making the actual robot.
- The robot was to be capable of moving in all directions and displaying the green, yellow and red traffic light for controlling the traffic.
- The movement of the robot was to be human controlled through a remote communication system.
- The robot had to meet stability condition under such conditions as a windy weather, bumpy road and other criteria that could prevent the proper function of the robot.
- The robot was to be waterproof and capable of working in different environmental conditions such as wet and rainy weather
In order to meet the above requirements, the design team took the following steps
- In order to solve the stability issue, they lowered the centroid in the body of the robot and used a 4 wheel system as its base. The driving electronic board too was installed at the base.
- Also, to maintain a better control on its speed and make sure that it will not have a sudden change of speed, they installed a gearbox on its driver shaft. This helped to attain a fully controllable speed.
- To make the robot waterproof, following initiatives were taken:
- The body of the robot was made in a smoothly curved shape that would cause rain droplets slipping on the body.
- They made the top part as a hermetic part
- The final product was fully tested and it was IP56 rated.
- Since based on the result of the mini-robot function, the real big sized product was to be made, we had to also consider the probability of accidents during its movement. Therefore, we enhanced its curved shape so that it could resist any collision and distribute its impulse.
- For the remote control system, we made use of an already remote system with 150 m working range.
- For the motor, a GM13-050SH-11170-35-44.7M3 motor made by EKULIT Elektrotechnik was selected. This motor was quite adequate with the design. It is an extremely small size and lightweight gear motor with the size of 15.5 x 37.7 x 12.0mm and weight of 23.00 gr. It has a very high efficiency and is universally applicable and suitable to a small diameter, low noise, and big torque applications. The scope of its application includes door locks and functional models.
The product was designed and prototyped. The final prototype was fully tested and after passing all the test was shipped to the client. The client was satisfied with the work since it met all his requirements.