One of our customers asked us for the design of a water jet pump for cutting metals. Due to its cost-effectiveness in reducing the cost of industrial production, this technique has long been used in industrial manufacturing. The reason for this feature is that:
- After the production, the product does not need any other processes for finishing.
- It does not require much time for the production.
- Unlike other cutting methods, water cutting does not produce any thermal effect which in many cases makes it the only approach for high precision manufacturing of products.
some of the issues that needed to be determined included:
- Determining the minimum acceptable compression to reach the desired cut
- Making a durable design with a long lifetime
- Accurate designing of the pump section
Having considered all details of the request, the engineering team began to work and set up a specific strategy for accomplishing the project. Some of the works done to overcome the above challenges included.
- Making a detailed calculation for determining the minimum acceptable compression. The calculation of the compression was done based on the thickness of the cutting and the type of the requested metal and it was found out that the compression was about 2,700 bars.
- In order to increase the lifetime of the machine, among other solutions, finally, the preferred choice was limiting the rotational speed of the axis of the pump to maximum 720 rpm. At such a speed, the flow rate of the pump was determined to be 1.5 Liter per minute.
Having the above figures, the water jet pump design including the design of the filters, the engine, and other components were made. The main focus of the engineering team was designing the pumping part as it was the hardest part of the project.
The Water jet pump design was finished according to the given requirements and the client was quite satisfied with the design.